[ltp] Beginner: best starter config

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:12:35 +0200

Am Dienstag 12 Juli 2005 17:55 schrieb Davide Eletto:
> Dear All,
> Can anyone of you give me a suggestion for the best linux distribution
> for my Thinkpad T21?

Hello,

I use a mixture of Debian Sarge, Etch and Sid with some stuff from
external repositories and I am quite satisfied with it. Well, your
mileage might vary. Especially I do not recommend that mixture to a
beginner as it requires from apt-get magic from time to time ;-).

With Debian you may have a steeper learning curve, but IMHO its worth it.
Its a install once use till your harddisk breaks and you don't have a
backup solution ;-) like I appreciate it from my Amiga days.

I did not yet test Ubuntu aside from using the X.org ubuntu packages from
it for a while. I heard more than once that Ubuntu packages are not 100%
compatible with the official Debian packages although they base on them.
And I like to stay compatible to official Debian packages with my system.
Thats my main source for software and for I like to keep it that way.

Regards,