[ltp] T42p and open source hardware accelerated OpenGL = SUCCESS

Andrew Haninger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:36:51 -0400

On 7/13/05, Dax Kelson <dax@gurulabs.com> wrote:
> I tried a bunch of OpenGL apps and they all ran great. I tried doing ill
> advised things to cause lockups and I couldn't. I'm been using it
> heavily all day long without any problems.
This sounds awesome.

Between hardware 3D acceleration, 802.11g, and the active protection
system, I thought I'd have to give up a lot if I ever installed Linux
on my ThinkPad. I've been pretty impressed at how quickly the support
for these devices seems to have progressed. Once I get the time and
disk space to back up the stuff I've accumulated on it, I will most
definitely be installing Linux on my T42.

One thing I wonder with respect to the Radeon driver is how I can tell
whether the opensource driver is better or worse (in terms of speed)
than the Windows driver that came preinstalled. I've noticed some
lockups when minimizing a Neverball/Neverputt window in Windows, but
the preinstalled driver has otherwise been quick and stable.

So, (I guess this question is probably a little overly-broad) is there
some accepted way to compare 3D performance between Windows and
XFree/Xorg drivers?

Thanks.

-Andy