[ltp] poll: how is your battery? (9-cell-battery lost about 25% capacity in 10 months)

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:52:38 -0400

honey@gneek.com wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Neil Caunt wrote:
>
>> I do usually use short cycles, but I tried a full discharge a few
>> times in the hope that it would help recalibrate.
>

> Yes - that's the only way I know of getting it to recalibrate.
> Although there may be some battery geek here who knows better :)
>
>> I suspected as much. I think this one still has a fair bit of life
>> left in it, but I'll probably get one off ebay in the not-too-distant
>> future. Unless, that is, anyone knows of somewhere else in the UK to
>> get batteries at a reasonable price?
>

> I'd like to know too.  There are some cheap ones on Ebay but I always
> worry (a) that they aren't really new (there really is no protection
> on Ebay

Amen, amen

> - if your "new" battery last an hour, you're stuck, and (b)
> shelf-life - batteries deteriorate over time even if not used, in
> fact are best stored at 40% charge.  Is the "new" battery you are
> buying actually 18 months old and stored in a garage somewhere?

I want to agree strongly on this.
Two items to never buy on ebay are hard drives and batteries unless
you are dealing with a seller that you have learned to trust from
 previous deals.
For some reason hard drives and batteries seem to attract sellers who lets
just say,  live under a very "flexible" moral code.
The last battery that I bought was advertised to go at least two hours.
It would not even flash the leds.
I might as well have flushed my money down the drain.
When you run into one of these ~!@#$ neither ebay or paypal will
 do one damn thing to help you.

They used to be good but I think that now they are way to much into
expanding worldwide and are totaly ignoring the many little leaks that
may end up eventually sinking their boat.
I really think that as soon as an online auction comes along that
figures out how
do something about the crooks that seem to be taking over ebay, ebay will
become history.