[ltp] API from UPEK for fingerprint sensor

Michael Hagemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:59:23 +0200

Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
>>Michael Hagemann wrote:
>>
>>http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/11/0540217&tid=172&tid=106
>>
>>>Sounds good;  unfortunately I have one of the last T42s
>>
>>without such a
>>
>>>sensor... ;-)
>>
>>Actually, not really.  They are going to provide a *binary*
>>driver for
>>the open BioAPI interface.  A pam module seems to be on the way...
>>
>>The referenced site  http://linuxbiometrics.com/, has some
>>interesting
>>info, however, and people seem to be working on a free driver...
>

> Michael,
>
> 	How do you know this is a binary driver?

Well, the site says it explicitly.  To quote (emphasis mine):

We will support a development of custom applications through BioAPI
technology, for which we will provide our own BSP module.  For now, the
supported BioAPI is the version 1.1.  We will *not* provide the source
code for our BSP module, as it contains proprietary technology we do not
intend to publish.  We will also *not* publish nor make available the
low-level USB interface to our device, for the same reason.  However,
the BSP itself will be fully compatible with BioAPI framework and
therefore our technology will be easily usable through the standard
BioAPI interface.

regards,
michael