[ltp] T42p and open source hardware accelerated OpenGL = SUCCESS

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:02:48 -0600

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 14:16 -0600, Dax Kelson wrote:
> I have my T42p running Fedora Core v4.
>
> I've been lurking on the dri-devel mailing list and following with
> interest development of the hardware accelerated OpenGL r300 driver.
> Recent reports having been saying that it has been working well without
> lockups on Radeon 9600 hardware.
>
> The kernel tainting, non-suspending fglrx ATI driver is not appealing to
> me.
>
> lspci says I have the following card:
> ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2] (same as a Radeon 9600)
>
> I wanted to try it out the new r300_dri with the least
> distruption/hacking of my existing working config. Basically I wanted to
> leave as much as possible in stock configuration.
>
> I ended up only needing the following updated/new files: drm.ko,
> radeon.ko, r300_dri.so, libdri.a, radeon_drv.o
>
> As well as these files that I'm not sure I really needed to update:
> libGL.so.1.2, libGLU.so.1.3, libGLw.so.1.0

I confirmed on another T42 that the libGL files are not needed.

So, in summary, with a Fedora Core v4 you just need 5 files:

drm.ko
radeon.ko
r300_dri.so
libdri.a
radeon_drv.o

You'll need to recompile new drm.ko and radeon.ko each time a new kernel
is released for FC4.

Myself and two other T42 owning co-workers have this working now. No
problems.

I'll post the binary files and installation/rebuilding instructions as a
Guru Labs Guide (http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/guru+guides.php) soon.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs