[ltp] T42p and open source hardware accelerated OpenGL = SUCCESS

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:06:51 -0600

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 12:07 +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 07:50:28 +0200, Frank Fiene wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2005 22:16 schrieb Dax Kelson:
> > > I have my T42p running Fedora Core v4.
> > >
> > > I've been lurking on the dri-devel mailing list and following with
> > > interest development of the hardware accelerated OpenGL r300 driver.
> > > Recent reports having been saying that it has been working well
> > > without lockups on Radeon 9600 hardware.
> >
> > That's great!
> >
> > Could you please mail some links, where you've downloaded these files or
> > design a web site with all your experiences? But if you've the links, i
> > can do the web page.
>
> http://r300.sourceforge.net/R300.php
>
> You need the CVS version of Mesa, as well as a patched X.org 6.8.2 (or
> X.org CVS), and the r300 driver from the URL above, which also contains
> a README with detailed instructions.
>
> In the current state, it may be hard for non-experienced users, but
> there seems to be progress towards merging the r300 driver into the DRM
> and Mesa CVS, which may be included in X.org some day, so this should
> work out of the box.

It will be nice once this works out of the box. Today though, with a
sufficiently modern distribution (such as Fedora Core v4), it is very
easy to install the 5 binary files you need to get this working.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs