[ltp] Beginner: best starter config

Davide Eletto linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:45:22 +0200

Bernard Tremblay wrote:

> Davide Eletto a écrit :
>
>> Dear All,
>> Can anyone of you give me a suggestion for the best linux
>> distribution for my Thinkpad T21?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Davide
>

> I had a T21 with Mandrake 10.0 on it.  It worked very well.  Mandriva
> (previously mandrake) is a great distribution for the desktop in
> particular. I'm writing this from a TP A21P wich is very similar to
> the T21 but with a wider screen.  I have Mandriva LE 2005 installed
> and most of the stuff works very well. The modem is a winmodem and
> you'll have probably to compile and install  the Lucent/Agere linmodem
> (depending on the type of modem you have on you particular TP).    I
> have to read more HOWTOs to get the ACPI working correctly, but I use
> my TP at home plugged with the power supply.  So it's not my priority
> for now.
>
> I have tried other distribution (RedHat, Debian) but I keep coming
> back to Mandriva.  It's not perfect but I'm totally happy with it. It
> feels confortable like old pants.  The only thing that is an
> annoyance, on my point of view, is that Mandriva has a tendency to
> push new distributions or packages too fast in production.  If you
> avoid the .0 versions and wait a few weeks before upgrading you'll get
> over 90% of the problems that you get with the new stuff.
>

> regards,
>
>    BT

Bernard,
thanks a lot for your so propertly answer.
I have already loaded Mandrake 10.0 on a dual-boot (Win XP resident)
conficuration.

I do not know why, but very often the O.S. crushes down.
Could you tell me if you consider more appropriate or convenient for an
old TP T21 Mandriva vs Mandrake. If so, where can I find Mandriva distro
for free?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Davide