[ltp] another poll: how much data fits on your DVD-RAM? (capacity problems with Thinkpad Multiburner UJ-812 ?)

Michael Keyl linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:09:49 +0200

On Friday 15 July 2005 21:52, Tino Keitel wrote:

> Btw., what write speeds do you get? When I write a big backup .tar.gz
> to a disc formatted with ext2 and kernel 2.6.12, I get ~500 kbyte/s,
> which is a bit slow IMHO. But since I have no comparison I'm interested
> in experiences of other DVD-RAM users.

Its approx. the same for me, maybe a little bit more (600-700). Considering
that writing includes a verify, this looks like 1x speed. On the other hand
hdparm -t /dev/hdc says

/dev/hdc:
 Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.18 seconds =   2.52 MB/sec

which looks more like 2x. Anybody with an explanation?

Michael