[ltp] ACPI S3 power drain and Thinkpad Wiki/radeonfb

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:32:57 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Clark Williams wrote:

> Well, I'm not a graphics kernel guy, but it looks to me like someone is
> already using the adapter. Remember that we have the wonderful graphical
> login screen that's going to run X behind your back. That's why I wanted
> to load the framebuffer module early in the init level sequence, to get
> to the hardware before anyone else does.
>
> <DOH!> (whack's self in head). I remember now, that I *disabled* the
> graphical boot stuff on my system (ok, I'm sort of a graphics luddite).
> I wonder if you're seeing that because an X driver has already grabbed
> access to the adapter.

Hmm yes rhgb - I always thought it a bit much to start X twice.  Good
point.  So I have 4 things to try!  My money's on vesafb grabbing it
so radeonfb can't... but I'm guessing.  I could swear you could load
radeonfb via a kernel line parameter, even though it's installed as a
module in Fedora... Google time.