[ltp] [Power management] DynamicClocks

Michael Olbrich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:27:41 +0200

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 11:21:02PM +0200, Paul RIVIER wrote:
> Michael Olbrich wrote:
> >I guess I have to restart X at some point to enable this...
> >

> of course it was the opposite, i am sorry.
> DynamicClocks ==> GPU = 50°C ; total consumption = 12W
> No DynamicClocks ==> GPU = 60°C ; total consumption = 13W
>
> Yes, you will need to restart x.org to switch.

Hmmm, I get the same values, but only for a cold CPU. With a compiler
running (=no special GPU usage) I can easily get CPU=80°C and GPU=60°C
_with_ DynamicClocks.

> >Errr, why would I need a script for that? My fan does that without any
> >interfering software. Or is that model speciffic?
> >

> All recent T and R series I think. At least my T42 :)
> To be more precise, with no software management, fan starts when CPU
> temp overcome 40°C, then never stops.
> Thoses scripts are aimed to stop the fan if the temp is low enought (i
> think that my CPU does not need a fan when under 55°C), that is it.
> Anybody runs windows sometime and can tell us more about fan behavior
> with windows ?

In my R40 the fan is switch on at ~60°C and of at ~45°C. With a ondemand
cpu frequency scaling governor the fan is running allmost never. So no
need for a script, right?

michael