[ltp] [Power management] DynamicClocks

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:58:29 -0400

On 7/11/05, Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 13:45:32 +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 13:32 +0200, Paul RIVIER wrote:
> > > I do monitor battery consumption and GPU temperature. Suspend/resume
> > > results in an increase of consumption (around 3 watts), and the GPU g=
ets
> > > hotter (15 more =B0C). Last, if I quit xorg then restart it, I have t=
he
> > > low consumption working back (13 watt / GPU : 50=B0C etc ...).
> >
> > I can not reproduce that problem here. Which kernel version? X11
> > version? Are you using radeonfb?
> >
> > > My laptop is a T42, ATI 9600.
> >
> > This is an X31, ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY.
>=20
> The M6 LY doesn't support PowerPlay (the feature which is turned on by
> DynamicClocks), so you won't see any difference.

actually the m6 does support powerplay (and dynamicclocks), but
dynamicclocks is not the same as power play.  dynamicclocks just sets
up the varios GPU clocks in dynamic mode so they scale based on usage.
 powerplay involves much more.  ati has not released any information
about powerplay so it won't be supported anytime soon.

Alex