[ltp] T43, cpu temperature and control of fan speed

Marcel Selhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:59:37 +0200

Hi,

I recently bought a T43 Thinkpad 2668-74G, which comes with a
2GHz cpu. My CPU-temperature lies within 50-60 degree Celsius,
depending on the CPU state (running cpufreqd and the
conservative governor). But when the CPU is really powering
during encoding or compiling, the CPU temperature goes up between
80 and 90 degree. What's really disturbing me is the fact, that the
fan is always running at around 4000 RPM, I am already running a
script which turns it off and on depending on the CPU-temp
(measuring fan and CPU-temp with the IBM-ACPI kernel module), but
I'd like to "boost" the fan to maximum RPMs, when the CPU temp goes
up over a certain value. (I already updated BIOS and EC-Firmware).

I saw in the ibm-acpi sourcecode that setting speed / level is only
possible on certain thinkpads. Has anyone found a way to manually
increase / decrease the fan speed on a T43-model?
Did anyone observe similar CPU-temperature values as I do?

Best regards,

Marcel Selhorst