[ltp] Re: more /dev/thinkpad

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:56:40 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Tom Adelstein wrote:

> I have added that. It doesn't see the module. I looking for an
> alternative to changing the path environment for a single module. I
> tried a ln -s but Ubuntu didn't like that.
>
> I found a unresolved bug report on this issue. Several debian users want
> to get this resolved but it doesn't appear as a priority.
>
> Also, an issue exists with permissions which I see as fixable
> in /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions
>
> I'm just not as familiar with debian as RPM distributions.
>
> In Fedora, the sources set up a directory in /lib/modules called
> thinkpad. I may have to reinstall that to see what it did.
>
> Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Tom,

If a module's installed (lsmod | grep thinkpad) then it's installed
and the location of the module file is irrelevant.  If tpctl works
with the module installed, and configure-thinkpad doesn't, that
implies to me that your configure-thinkpad is broken.  True that the
device file after module installation might be created in the wrong
place (I have a vague collection of seeing /dev/thinkpad/thinkpad
once), but if so, it's probably an old/broken version.  But like I
said before I don't use them much.

Honey