[ltp] Re: more /dev/thinkpad

David Tansey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:07:36 +0300

Tom,

Well, keep me updated. I'm using hoary as well. I thought I wrote out
all my steps a couple days ago. After doing that I could modprobe it no
problem. And thinkpad-base put an entry into modprobe.d (or somwhere
--i've removed it since then) so that the module is loaded at boottime.

-David

Here it is:

Ubuntu has a package called thinkpad-source. You have to install that
along with thinkpad-base and tpctl (and tpb if you want it.)

You also need the right linux-headers package. for me it is
linux-headers-2.6.10-5-686 -- you can apt-cache this.

Then go to /usr/src/ and tar -xzf thinkpad.tar.gz

cd go the modules/thinkpad/2.6/drivers
make
sudo make install

and it works.

the problem is that ubuntu uses acpi (which works largely for me) and
they say configure-thinkpad is based on APM so some features are
disabled. but it does let me switch to external monitor and back, which
might be just the thing for me for my external monitor setup.

good luck all.

-david