[ltp] sound on Thinpad 600 with Sarge (Yet again...)

jeff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:15:26 -0400

On Monday 18 July 2005 10:07, wim@djo.tudelft.nl wrote:

> ANY attempt to start a 2.6 kernel will disable the sound chip permanently.
> The good news is that the damage appears not to be irreversible.
> However, all methods to get it back to life are all quite tedious and not
> suitable for Joe Average. (The question remains if there is any Joe Average
> using a TP600?)

I think the problem with Sarge is with the detection routine, not the kernel.
I have tried Mandrake and Mepis (which is based on sarge) on my 600 with the
2.6 kernel. Sound worked OK with both distros. A clean install of Debian
sarge with the 2.6 kernel messes up my sound card though.

> Anyway, the easiest and less damaging way to get your sound back is:
> - Shut down your TP600 and unplug the power cable.
> - Take out the battery pack (to ensure that the CMOS RAM can get empty).
> - Open/remove the lid that covers the RAM modules and CMOS battery.
> - Unplug the CMOS battery. (That tiny connector in the corner).
> - Wait a moment. (A few minutes suffices).
> - Put everything back together again.

A faster and simpler method... flash the BIOS then install a distro that
doesn't kill the sound card.  At least that worked for me. YMMV  ;)

Jeff