[ltp] sound on Thinpad 600 with Sarge (Yet again...)

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:31:31 +0200 (MEST)

> <tomalek@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 23:15 -0400, jeff wrote:
>
> > I think the problem with Sarge is with the detection routine, not the kernel.
> > I have tried Mandrake and Mepis (which is based on sarge) on my 600 with the
> > 2.6 kernel. Sound worked OK with both distros. A clean install of Debian
> > sarge with the 2.6 kernel messes up my sound card though.
> >

> I sold my 600, but I do have a 770-series laptop, which has similar
> sound hardware.

Similar is not identical. And even when the Crystal soundchip is
identical (cs4232.o) that would not indicate that the chipset that
addresses it is identical. The problem is that the probing routines
disturbe the I/O settings of the sound chip and/or the addressing chip(s)
to unknown/invalid values. Anyway, playing with PS2.EXE will usually NOT
repair this. Worse, I've seen cases where the sound I/O addresses were
still in place, but it was still not working.

>  Once I figured out how to configure sound manually (it
> was not autodetected), I've had no problems with sound under 2.6
> kernels.  This is on Fedora Core 3.

It's nice when the 770 has no problems with kernel 2.6, but that's not
relevant, actually.  You are comparing unrelated things.

Regards, Wim.