[ltp] sound on Thinpad 600 with Sarge (Yet again...)

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:47:00 +0200 (MEST)

> <jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com> writes:
> On Monday 18 July 2005 10:07, wim@djo.tudelft.nl wrote:
>
> > ANY attempt to start a 2.6 kernel will disable the sound chip permanently.
> > The good news is that the damage appears not to be irreversible.
> > However, all methods to get it back to life are all quite tedious and not
> > suitable for Joe Average. (The question remains if there is any Joe Average
> > using a TP600?)
> >

> I think the problem with Sarge is with the detection routine, not the kernel.

The detection routines are IN the kernel. Unless you define the kernel to
be a subset of the bzImage file you get when compiling a kernel.
The detection routines obviously mangle the sound system.
Why a 2.6 kernel crashes on two different TP600s I wouldn't know.

> I have tried Mandrake and Mepis (which is based on sarge) on my 600 with the
> 2.6 kernel. Sound worked OK with both distros. A clean install of Debian
> sarge with the 2.6 kernel messes up my sound card though.

Here you say managed to run 2.6 on yours.
Might it be that there are other kind of TP600s around, with different
hardware?
I don't have the precise type indicator at hand here.
I have a small screen version with 64MB and a version with a larger
screen with only 32MB. Both will crash.

Regards, Wim.

----- wim@djo.tudelft.nl -----