[ltp] T42p and open source hardware accelerated OpenGL = SUCCESS

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:20:40 -0400 (EDT)

> I've been lurking on the dri-devel mailing list and following with
> interest development of the hardware accelerated OpenGL r300 driver.
> Recent reports having been saying that it has been working well
> without lockups on Radeon 9600 hardware.

	I can confirm that my T42p running Debian Unstable + X.org
compiled from CVS + Mesa + r300 works great here as well, so far no
lockups at all.

	I took a slightly different (easier) path to building the code
and drivers required, and a few hand-copying bits were necessary to
get the right pieces in the right place, but now I'm happy to report
the following:

13241 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2648.200 FPS
14453 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2890.600 FPS
14463 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2892.600 FPS
14464 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2892.800 FPS

	Now to go run bzflag and see if this hard-locks my machine.
With my T23 using the Savage 3D drivers (various vendors), it would
lock up in about 12 seconds consistently, even with hundreds of
different peeks and pokes were made to the XF86Config.

	I'll report back my results later... so far, very impressive!

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com