[ltp] trackpoint no longer working

Peter B. West linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:55:03 +0100

Nils Trebing wrote:
> Frank Dekervel|Smartlounge| wrote:
>

>>hello,
>>
>>for some time, i was a happy user of stephen evanchik's Trackpoint driver.
>>Recently i updated my kernel to 2.6.12 (and the patch), and since then, the
>>trackpoint no longer works. I saw the /proc support was replaced by /sys
>>support, and scroll emulation was removed.
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing exactly the same problem since upgrading to 2.6.12.
> What I see in /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0 corresponds to the
> output you posted.
>

>>when i don't compile in the driver, my trackpoint works (but i cannot setup
>>things). When i compile it in, my trackpoint apparently gets detected, but it
>>doesn't work.
>>
>>IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x0E
>>input: TrackPoint IBM TrackPoint on synaptics-pt/serio0
>

> I also see this if I compile the psmouse driver with the patch applied.
> Exactly like in your case, if I compile the psmouse driver without the
> patch, everything works, but of course I can't fine-tune things like
> speed and sensitivity.
>
> Perhaps we should ask Stephen Evanchik for help?
>
> Regards,
>
> Nils

I have a G41, gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r6, with trackpoint-2.6.12.patch
applied.
# ls /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0
bind_mode  description  driver  ext_dev  inertia  middle_btn_disable
power            rate   resetafter  sensitivity  speed   transparent  ztime
bus        draghys      drvctl  id       jenks    mindrag
press_to_select  reach  resolution  skipback     thresh  upthresh
# ls /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1
bind_mode  bus  description  driver  drvctl  extra  id  power  scroll
set  softraw  softrepeat
# cat /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/description
i8042 Aux Port
#  cat /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/description
i8042 Kbd Port

However, in /var/log/messages, I have
kernel: serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
kernel: serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
kernel: mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
kernel: input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
kernel: IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x0E
kernel: input: TrackPoint IBM TrackPoint on isa0060/serio1

It looks as though there's some confusion between the keyboard and the
trackpoint.

Peter
--
Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>