[ltp] ACPI S3 power drain and Thinkpad Wiki/radeonfb

Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:35:08 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Clark Williams wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 23:32 +0100, honey@gneek.com wrote:
>> Hmm yes rhgb - I always thought it a bit much to start X twice.  Good
>> point.  So I have 4 things to try!  My money's on vesafb grabbing it
>> so radeonfb can't... but I'm guessing.  I could swear you could load
>> radeonfb via a kernel line parameter, even though it's installed as a
>> module in Fedora... Google time.
>
> Did you ever get this working? if you did, I missed it on the list.
>
> I'd love to get rid of my framebuffer startup script and just load
> radeonfb from the grub command line.

Hi Clark,

Depends which problem you mean:

1. Setting console resolution for radeonfb from the kernel boot line:
No.  Tried everything, I can only assume it's because it's a module
in my kernel (built into initrd with --preload=radeonfb).

2. Resetting console resolution after bootup: Yes, as Volker
indicated this works with fbset - usually - once I tried this from X
and lost all video output.  But somehow swsusp2/fbsplash
doesn't pick up the change for me, and still thinks I'm using the
native resolution 1400x1050.  Unsolved at the moment.

3. ACPI S3 power drain: Yes, with the force_sleep parameter on the
kernel boot line, I get a dramatic reduction in power usage in S3.

What do you put in your startup script? fbset..?