[ltp] sound on Thinpad 600 with Sarge (Yet again...)

Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:32:10 +0200 (MEST)

> > > <jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> > Here you say managed to run 2.6 on yours.
> > Might it be that there are other kind of TP600s around, with different
> > hardware?
>
> Very possible, since some people seem to have trouble with the sound and
> modem, while others are autodetected and work perfectly with the same distro.
>
> > I don't have the precise type indicator at hand here.
> > I have a small screen version with 64MB and a version with a larger
> > screen with only 32MB. Both will crash.

Although the inside differs (video chip, chipset cooling), the indication
is a plain 'type 2645' on both machines. However, the barcode sticker
is somewhat clearer:
type 2645310  for the small screen.
type 2645410  for the larger screen.

> Mine is a 2645-45U, with 128MB.

I don't have extra memory to try, but I tend to think that it matters..

> After testing a few different distros, I can't tell that the 2.6 kernel
> offers any advantage over the 2.4 kernel on the 600.
> And ALSA seems to work better with the 2.4 kernel on mine.

Whell, modern (and hopefully improved) rescue disks simply have a 2.6
kernel. And more important, I'd like to follow the hostap development which
is done only for kernel 2.6. :-(
I don't really look forward to fall back to my old toshiba 486 laptop.

Regards, Wim.

----- wim@djo.tudelft.nl -----