[ltp] ACPI S3 power drain and Thinkpad Wiki/radeonfb

Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:51:17 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Clark Williams wrote:

>> 2. Resetting console resolution after bootup: Yes, as Volker
>> indicated this works with fbset - usually - once I tried this from X
>> and lost all video output.  But somehow swsusp2/fbsplash
>> doesn't pick up the change for me, and still thinks I'm using the
>> native resolution 1400x1050.  Unsolved at the moment.
>
> So, when you resume, graphics gets...whacky?

No - just if I used fbsplash to suspend (because it's pretty) it
complains that it can't find a config file 1400x1050.cfg (which is my
LCD's native resolution).  And when I make one it still can't see it.
Haven't figured it out.

> I've never set my resolution to anything but 1024x768, so I haven't seen
> your problem. When are you setting the resolution?

Nowhere now - nothing on the kernel boot line changed it.  I just
leave it as native for now, and use swsusp2 in non-fbsplash mode...
for now.  Even if I use fbset, swsusp2 ignores the new resolution.

>> 3. ACPI S3 power drain: Yes, with the force_sleep parameter on the
>> kernel boot line, I get a dramatic reduction in power usage in S3.
>
> Yeah, that's the only thing I want (reduced power consumption).

Should just be a matter of testing against your exact model then
(dmidecode | grep Product), and if it's not listed in the patch
already, adding the force parameter on the command line: mine is now
just: video=radeonfb:force_sleep.  Run the sleep.sh to shutdown and
see if it works - if so report it for your model as per previous
mails on the list, and it should get whitelisted, meaning you don't
need to force in future.

>> What do you put in your startup script? fbset..?

Nothing!  I just do it as above.  Screen resolution doesn't affect
the S3 sleep drain problem - just swsusp2 suspend-to-disk, which has
NO drain, because the machine's really off.