[ltp] [FIXED] trackpoint no longer working

Nils Trebing linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:45:49 +0200

--------------enig420AB142968CC1C68B0043A5

Stephen Evanchik schrieb:

> Ok, I have created a new patch that includes a fix:
>
> http://stephen.evanchik.com/kernel/trackpoint/trackpoint-with-synaptics-fix-2.6.12.patch
>
> Let me know if this works for you (it does for me).
>

> Stephen

With this patch, the trackpoint works again. However, I can't set any
options like sensitivity or speed. Perhaps there is already something
going wrong during the build. Modinfo only shows this:

filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.12.3/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-synaptics-fix.ko
author:         Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
license:        GPL
parmtype:       proto:proto_abbrev
parm:           proto:Highest protocol extension to probe (bare, imps,
exps, any). Useful for KVM switches.
parmtype:       resolution:uint
parm:           resolution:Resolution, in dpi.
parmtype:       rate:uint
parm:           rate:Report rate, in reports per second.
parmtype:       smartscroll:bool
parm:           smartscroll:Logitech Smartscroll autorepeat, 1 = enabled
(default), 0 = disabled.
parmtype:       resetafter:uint
parm:           resetafter:Reset device after so many bad packets (0 =
never).
vermagic:       2.6.12.3 preempt PENTIUMM gcc-3.3
depends:
alias:          serio:ty01pr*id*ex*
alias:          serio:ty05pr*id*ex*

whereas it showed many more options with the old
trackpoint-2.6.11-rc3.patch-1:

filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.12.3/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-oldpatch.ko
author:         Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
license:        GPL
parmtype:       proto:proto_abbrev
parm:           proto:Highest protocol extension to probe (bare, imps,
exps, any). Useful for KVM switches.
parmtype:       resolution:uint
parm:           resolution:Resolution, in dpi.
parmtype:       rate:uint
parm:           rate:Report rate, in reports per second.
parmtype:       smartscroll:bool
parm:           smartscroll:Logitech Smartscroll autorepeat, 1 = enabled
(default), 0 = disabled.
parmtype:       resetafter:uint
parm:           resetafter:Reset device after so many bad packets (0 =
never).
parmtype:       sens:uint
parm:           sens:Sensitivity
parmtype:       speed:uint
parm:           speed:Speed of pointer
parmtype:       reach:uint
parm:           reach:Backup Range
parmtype:       draghys:uint
parm:           draghys:Resistance to dragging
parmtype:       mindrag:uint
parm:           mindrag:Drag threshold
parmtype:       thresh:uint
parm:           thresh:Force necessary to trigger a press or release
parmtype:       upthresh:uint
parm:           upthresh:Force necessary to trigger a click
parmtype:       ztime:uint
parm:           ztime:Determines how sharp a press is
parmtype:       jenks:uint
parm:           jenks:Double click sensitivity
parmtype:       ptson:uint
parm:           ptson:Press to Select
parmtype:       mb:uint
parm:           mb:Middle button is disabled
parmtype:       mb_scroll:uint
parm:           mb_scroll:Scroll with middle button
vermagic:       2.6.12.3 preempt PENTIUMM gcc-3.3
depends:
alias:          serio:ty01pr*id*ex*
alias:          serio:ty05pr*id*ex*

However, your new patch creates some files in
/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0:

a13x:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0# tree
.
|-- bind_mode
|-- bus -> ../../../../bus/serio
|-- description
|-- driver -> ../../../../bus/serio/drivers/psmouse
|-- drvctl
|-- id
|   |-- extra
|   |-- id
|   |-- proto
|   `-- type
|-- power
|   `-- state
|-- rate
|-- resetafter
|-- resolution
`-- serio21
    |-- bind_mode
    |-- bus -> ../../../../../bus/serio
    |-- description
    |-- draghys
    |-- driver -> ../../../../../bus/serio/drivers/psmouse
    |-- drvctl
    |-- ext_dev
    |-- id
    |   |-- extra
    |   |-- id
    |   |-- proto
    |   `-- type
    |-- inertia
    |-- jenks
    |-- middle_btn_disable
    |-- mindrag
    |-- power
    |   `-- state
    |-- press_to_select
    |-- rate
    |-- reach
    |-- resetafter
    |-- resolution
    |-- sensitivity
    |-- skipback
    |-- speed
    |-- thresh
    |-- transparent
    |-- upthresh
    `-- ztime

9 directories, 37 files

But echoing values in some of these files like sensitivity or speed
doesn't do anything. Finally, regardless of which patch I use, dmesg
always shows this:

Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 5.9, id: 0x2c6ab1, caps: 0x884793/0x0
serio: Synaptics pass-through port at isa0060/serio1/input0
input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x0E
input: TrackPoint IBM TrackPoint on synaptics-pt/serio0

Regards,
Nils