[ltp] recovery partition

Nicolas Dufresne linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:58:40 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_7IkcoVdy7IJGpTotz2QREQ)

I'v installed Linux without breaking Recovery partition.  In fact it
broke at first, but here the way to repaire it.  First, you should build
a recovery CD.  This is equivalent to the partition but without Win OS
image.  This CD can be created with access IBM tools.  Then, resize your
Windows partition or delete, keeping recovery at exact same position.
(I used qtparted from RecueCD)   Install your linux on free space.  Then
you'll see that the bios won't boot it anymore.  Add an item to your
bootloader menu to point to the rescue partition.  This partition is a
reduced Windows NT.  For me, when I first try to boot it I got a BSOD.
Boot from CD, (very long),  and then as reboot from your bootloader
item.  This should work, but it's Windows, so don't expect to much of
any solutions.

Good luck,

Le jeudi 21 juillet 2005 à 16:47 +0300, dim a écrit :

> Hi,
> what is the exact purpose of ibm's recovery partition? Does it only
> store recovery information or are applications (ibm's fingerprint
> software and etc) also stored on and run from it? What I'm asking is if
> I remove the partition, will all ibm's applications function properly?
> If not, is there a way to install linux on a thinkpad (t43) without
> breaking the recovery partition?
>
> Thanks.

Nicolas Dufresne <Nicolas.Dufresne@USherbrooke.ca>
Étudiant en informatique, Université de Sherbrooke

--Boundary_(ID_7IkcoVdy7IJGpTotz2QREQ)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
I'v installed Linux without breaking Recovery partition.&nbsp; In fact it broke at first, but here the way to repaire it.&nbsp; First, you should build a recovery CD.&nbsp; This is equivalent to the partition but without Win OS image.&nbsp; This CD can be created with access IBM tools.&nbsp; Then, resize your Windows partition or delete, keeping recovery at exact same position.&nbsp; (I used qtparted from RecueCD)&nbsp;&nbsp; Install your linux on free space.&nbsp; Then you'll see that the bios won't boot it anymore.&nbsp; Add an item to your bootloader menu to point to the rescue partition.&nbsp; This partition is a reduced Windows NT.&nbsp; For me, when I first try to boot it I got a BSOD.&nbsp; Boot from CD, (very long),&nbsp; and then as reboot from your bootloader item.&nbsp; This should work, but it's Windows, so don't expect to much of any solutions.<BR>
<BR>
Good luck,<BR>
<BR>
Le jeudi 21 juillet 2005 &#224; 16:47 +0300, dim a &#233;crit :
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>
<FONT COLOR="#000000">Hi,</FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#000000">what is the exact purpose of ibm's recovery partition? Does it only </FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#000000">store recovery information or are applications (ibm's fingerprint </FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#000000">software and etc) also stored on and run from it? What I'm asking is if </FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#000000">I remove the partition, will all ibm's applications function properly? </FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#000000">If not, is there a way to install linux on a thinkpad (t43) without </FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#000000">breaking the recovery partition?</FONT>

<FONT COLOR="#000000">Thanks.</FONT>

</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<TABLE CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" WIDTH="100%">
<TR>
<TD>

<HR NOSHADE>
<BR>
<B><FONT SIZE="4">Nicolas Dufresne </FONT></B>&lt;<A HREF="mailto:Nicolas.Dufresne@USherbrooke.ca">Nicolas.Dufresne@USherbrooke.ca</A>&gt;<BR>
&#201;tudiant en informatique, Universit&#233; de Sherbrooke
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_7IkcoVdy7IJGpTotz2QREQ)--