[ltp] sound on Thinpad 600 with Sarge (Yet again...)

Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:53:58 +0200 (MEST)

> > > From: Sriram Karra <skarra@gmail.com>
> > >

> > THAT, btw, looks like your main problem.
> > I bet you first tried to run a 2.6 kernel and THEN you had no more sound!
>
> Yes.  That's true.

> Actually on my TP600, a 2.6.11 and 2.6.8 kernels run fine, except for
> the soundcard.  (I have not tested the mwavem, actually).

If I could only find out how not to crash..

The winmodem once worked, but at speeds higher than 2400BPS it would bail
out. I'd rather use a PCMCIA modem.

> > ANY attempt to start a 2.6 kernel will disable the sound chip permanently=
> .

> > - Take out the battery pack (to ensure that the CMOS RAM can get empty).
> > - Open/remove the lid that covers the RAM modules and CMOS battery.
> > - Unplug the CMOS battery. (That tiny connector in the corner).
> > - Wait a moment. (A few minutes suffices).
> > - Put everything back together again.
> > Now you'll have sound back (if you use cs4232.o).
>
> Unfortnately it doesn't work.  I removed the cmos battery.  It
> appeared to be done correctly, because the hw clock got reset.  But
> then, on booting into a 2.4.27 kernel from the sarge repository
> cs4232.o still does not do the trick.  Are you suggesting I use the
> OSS modules instead of ALSA, btw?

I could only imagine you did not wait until all charge was gone from the
CMOS clock/RAM.
Another indication that the sound chip is not present is in the setup menu.
The TP600 will not let you choose a diagnostics on the sound system when
there is no sound system present. No need for thinking of ALSA that won't
find the sound chip either.

If the sound chip has been found, you may rerun PS2.EXE to see if that
helps. %-(

> btw, thanks a lot for your responses.  It's a nice working system that
> I dont feel like junking because sound does not work now... :)
> -Sriram.

Thats right. Excvept for the batteries I'm not unhappy with it.

Regards, Wim.

----- wim@djo.tudelft.nl -----