[ltp] Re: poll: how is your battery? (9-cell-battery lost about 25% capacity in 10 months)

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:06:11 +1000

On 22 Jul 2005, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> Speaking of ThinkPad batteries, is it reasonable to buy them not from
> IBM?  A new 9-cell battery from IBM costs AU$250, which seems quite
> steep.  I'm going on a long flight next month and I would like a new
> battery to supplement my old 9-cell one which only charges up to 83% of
> its original capacity.

My experience with a third party battery has been mixed:  it does work,
but it has an odd problem with intermittent reporting of zero charge
through the ACPI interface,[1] but is otherwise similar to the original
battery.

I think, on the whole, that I probably should have paid the extra $100
or so to get an original battery, but whatever. :)

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  This sets the battery light on the lid to flashing orange, but
     nothing else. V. strange.

--
A companion, unobtrusive
Plays the song that's so elusive