[ltp] ACPI S3 power drain and Thinkpad Wiki/radeonfb

Chris Vanden Berghe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:56:17 +0200

Hi,

>> Thu Jul 21 20:52:02 CEST 2005
>> before: 43040 mWh
>> after: 39730 mWh
>> diff: -3310 mWh
>> seconds: 10897 sec
>> result: -1093 mW
>> Your model seems to be affected.
>>
>> It's a T41 (23739HG).  I will add this information to the bug report.
>
> I'm surprised at this, as the thread seems to be beginning to conclude
> that it maybe fixes it for all models... what was your power drain
> result without using the force parameter or using vesafb of something?
> Was it more, or the same?  What was your kernel boot line and did
> you compile radeonfb in as a module or part of the kernel?  And did
> the patches apply cleanly?

I applied the 'Updated whitelist' patch from 2005-07-12 11:28 to a
pristine 2.6.12.2 kernel and it applied cleanly.  I added my model to
the list and compiled the radeonfb as part of the kernel (not a module).
 When I rebooted the power usage in S3 improved by quite a bit, but just
a bit less than the other reports suggest.  On average it used 4000mW
before, and now approximately 1000mW.

So, it's certainly much better... my battery will now last for a
weekend.  It's thus worth adding this particular model to the list.

Thanks for the help.  I really hope this patch will become part of the
standard kernel!

Cheers,
Chris.