[ltp] T41 not entering BIOS

Marcel Selhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:23:57 +0200

Hi Shakthi,

I had a pretty close phenomenon with my T43.
When it arrived, I set a BIOS- and a harddisk-password,
and when the system boots, the BIOS prompts for it, but I could
also enter the BIOS.
Then, suddenly after one week, the BIOS didn't accept
my password anymore - without me changing it... - and I was not
able to get into BIOS anymore.
I called IBM and they told me that "forgotten" passwords
are no warranty issues, but as I could convince them
that I really didn't change or forget my password they
came and changed my mainboard.
You might first try to clear the BIOS-settings (if possible)
by disconnecting the AC-Adapter, removing the battery pack and
the BIOS-battery (located below the keyboard or in a small slot
behind the battery pack).
You should try hard to recall your old Bios password,
otherwise you have to buy a new mainboard...

Good luck,

Marcel Selhorst