[ltp] x20 questions

Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:51:17 -0400

On 7/26/05, Rolf Leggewie <no2spam@nospam.arcornews.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I am considering to buy an off-lease X20 as a cheap and ultra-portable
> typewriter.  I hope there are some users of this machine around that can
> help me with a couple of questions.
>=20
> * Can the battery be hot-swapped?
> * What are good sources for a battery apart from ebay preferrably in
>    Germany but US is OK.
> * Anybody ever thought of hacking the ultrabase into an external battery
>    case?  I do not need the ultrabase but I'd like to extend battery time
>    to at least 8 hours if possible.  Does the ultrabase have enough room?
> * RAM is 320MB max and that is what I intend to put in.  I read on this
>    list that not all 256MB modules are supported.  Any general rules how
>    to discern the supported from the unsupported?

look up ram for the x20 on crucial.com then see what type of memory
modules are specified (4x32 or 4x64, single/double sided, etc.)

> * Can the X20 be used in dual-head mode under Linux (TFT plus external)?

The hardware supports it, but the driver support has yet to be
written.  if someone wants to give me laptop with an rage mobility
(M1), I'd be happy to add dualhead support to the mach64 xorg driver.

> * Is the mini-pci slot a standard?  Can I just put in anything?  What
>    about WLAN cards?  I guess they would at least lack an antenna, right?

the mini-pci slot is standard, however, if the case is not wired with
an antenna, a mini-pci wifi card will not work.  There's too much
interference in the case to get a signal with no antenna.  I've tried
it before on several systems.

Alex