[ltp] Re: x20 questions

Rolf Leggewie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:56:38 +0200

Hi Alex,

thanks for the quick reply.

Alex Deucher wrote:

>>* Can the battery be hot-swapped?
>>* What are good sources for a battery apart from ebay preferrably in
>>  Germany but US is OK.
>>* Anybody ever thought of hacking the ultrabase into an external battery
>>  case?  I do not need the ultrabase but I'd like to extend battery time
>>  to at least 8 hours if possible.  Does the ultrabase have enough room?

>>* RAM is 320MB max and that is what I intend to put in.  I read on this
>>  list that not all 256MB modules are supported.  Any general rules how
>>  to discern the supported from the unsupported?

> look up ram for the x20 on crucial.com then see what type of memory
> modules are specified (4x32 or 4x64, single/double sided, etc.)

It says 3.3V, 32 Meg x 64.  Does not mention either single- or
double-sided.  Speed is 100MHz.

>>* Can the X20 be used in dual-head mode under Linux (TFT plus external)?

> The hardware supports it, but the driver support has yet to be
> written.  if someone wants to give me laptop with an rage mobility
> (M1), I'd be happy to add dualhead support to the mach64 xorg driver.

Would ssh root access be sufficient?

Where are you located?  PM me and maybe I can temporarily give you
physical access as well.  I am considering the purchase of a backup machine.

>>* Is the mini-pci slot a standard?  Can I just put in anything?  What
>>   about WLAN cards?  I guess they would at least lack an antenna, right?

> the mini-pci slot is standard, however, if the case is not wired with
> an antenna, a mini-pci wifi card will not work.  There's too much
> interference in the case to get a signal with no antenna.

OK, but at least I can use any ethernet mini PCI card out there.  The
X20 I am having an eye on does not have an ethernet card but a modem :-(

One more hardware related question for the X20 owners.  I plan to use my
CF WLAN card.  The X20 has a Compact Flash port on the back.  Will that
be accessible when the unit is in the port replicator or the dock?  The
WLAN card sticks out a bit like most of these cards.

Regards

Rolf