[ltp] Re: x20 questions

Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:00:54 -0400

On 7/26/05, Rolf Leggewie <no2spam@nospam.arcornews.de> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>=20
> thanks for the quick reply.
>=20
> Alex Deucher wrote:
>=20
> >>* Can the battery be hot-swapped?
> >>* What are good sources for a battery apart from ebay preferrably in
> >>  Germany but US is OK.
> >>* Anybody ever thought of hacking the ultrabase into an external batter=
> >>  case?  I do not need the ultrabase but I'd like to extend battery tim=
> >>  to at least 8 hours if possible.  Does the ultrabase have enough room=
?
>=20
> >>* RAM is 320MB max and that is what I intend to put in.  I read on this
> >>  list that not all 256MB modules are supported.  Any general rules how
> >>  to discern the supported from the unsupported?
>=20
> > look up ram for the x20 on crucial.com then see what type of memory
> > modules are specified (4x32 or 4x64, single/double sided, etc.)
>=20
> It says 3.3V, 32 Meg x 64.  Does not mention either single- or
> double-sided.  Speed is 100MHz.
>=20

look for 32x64 PC100 SO-DIMMs.  that should be enough.

> >>* Can the X20 be used in dual-head mode under Linux (TFT plus external)=
?
>=20
> > The hardware supports it, but the driver support has yet to be
> > written.  if someone wants to give me laptop with an rage mobility
> > (M1), I'd be happy to add dualhead support to the mach64 xorg driver.
>=20
> Would ssh root access be sufficient?

No, you really need physical access to the laptop since video driver
hacking often ends up producing hung graphics chips or other problems
that you have to see on the screen to debug.

>=20
> Where are you located?  PM me and maybe I can temporarily give you
> physical access as well.  I am considering the purchase of a backup machi=
ne.
>=20

I'm in the Washington DC area.  I have to set your expections however.
 I can't guarantee a particular time frame for implementation, it
depends on my free time and how much trouble the chip will be; r128
was relatively easy, savage was a bear.

Alex