[ltp] sound on Thinpad 600 with Sarge (Yet again...)

Damir Hakimov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:37:47 +0400

Sriram Karra wrote:

>I have a Thinkpad 600 (2645-48U) that I have just started using after
>a really long time.  The sound was working even ~4 years ago with
>Debian Potato.  But Sarge is having issues.  I did go through the
>archives and tried out different things.  Most specifically disable
>BIOS Quick Boot.  After doing that I did start getting Beeps from the
>speakers but xmms and stuff still refuse to work.
>
>modprobe cs46xx with the usual args mentioned on this list many times
>suceeds without any error.  But xmms does not produce any sound and
>gives error even on startup.  The other modules like
>cs4232/cs4231/cs4236 do not even get loaded.
>
>It's a little frurstrating to have working hardware give such problems
>after upgrade ... :)  Any further tips on how I can make some
>progress?
>
>And oh, btw.  I also tried ugprading to 2.6.11 kernel from sid.  That
>did not work either.
>
>Thanks,
>-Sriram.

On my TP600 (type 2645) I have next :

damir@debian-IBM:~/temp$ uname -a
Linux debian-IBM 2.4.27.d01
damir@debian-IBM:~/temp$ cat /etc/modutils/sound
alias char-major-116 cs4232
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1
damir@debian-IBM:~/temp$cat /etc/modules.conf
### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/sound
alias char-major-116 cs4232
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/sound

This strings generates update-modules at boot time.

With 2.6.8 kernel I have interesting sound-trouble. It plays short sound
in a circle and any sound playing program stops.  Sometime its funny.
A-a-a-a-a...

Damir.
 Sorry for my English.