[ltp] T42 and Debian Sarge

Bob Hentges linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:02:36 +0200

Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:36, Bob Hentges wrote:
>
>>Marcus Hagn wrote:
>>
>>>I would recommend to install Ubuntu Linux. I had very good experience
>>>installing it on my X40, so I do not about the details for the T42.
>>>But for me almost everything worked out of the box. Only very view
>>>minor tweaks were needed to get an optimal cofigured device.
>>>And since I am also coming from the Debian world, there is the
>>>additional advantage, that this is basically a Debian system, where I
>>>know my ways around.
>>
>>That is exactly what happened to me. Up to this day, I haven't found a
>>single point in which I could criticize Ubuntu. It works just fine,
>>discovered and configured all of the hardware, but the fingerprint reader.
>

> Technically, it's unquestionably a superior distribution, but the aesthetics
> are best forgotton. So I'd like to ask the question: "Has anybody gotton
> Kubuntu to work?" Any comments?

Kubuntu being nothing else than the Ubuntu base with a shiny KDE on top,
I do not suppose that there will be any problems whatsoever. The scripts
or whatever is used to configure the system for your hardware are, if I
remember correctly, identical.

I just remembered however, that in order to get my Thinkpad Buttons to
work, I had to install tpb and tpctl by hand. Not that that was work in
any sense, but what I want to tell you is, that it is about the only
thing not installed by default. As these information can be found on
thinkwiki however, I do not suspect anybody to have any problems with it.

Regards

Bob Hentges