[ltp] T42 and Debian Sarge

Josh Battles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:53:21 -0500 (CDT)

Marius Gedminas said:
> I run Ubuntu Hoary on T42 and love it.  Everything works out of the box:
> wireless, accelerated 3D in X, sound, CPU frequency scaling, etc.  The
> only thing that I had to do manually was to enable ACPI suspend (by
> uncommenting the first line in /etc/default/acpi-support).
>
> Problems that I still have:
>  - External VGA output is all "wobbly" (hardware problem?)
>  - Excessive battery drain during ACPI suspend -- the laptop dies if I
>    leave it suspended for ~11 hours.  I haven't yet tried the radeonfb
>    patch that ought to solve this.
>  - Keyboard goes crazy if I press a key too early while the laptop is
>    still resuming from suspend (2.6.12 kernel fixes this, but breaks
>    suspend somewhat)

Cool, I'll have to give it a try then.  The external VGA isn't really a big
deal for me though as I don't attach it to an external monitor.  The suspend
is an issue for me though as I like to leave it suspended for long periods of
time, sometimes days.  Please update when you try the radeonfb patch, I'm
interested to see if this resolves those problems.

>> >From a user/administrator standpoint, what's different between ubuntu and
>> debian?  Is it anything that I'll notice?
>
> I doubt it.  One possible difference: Ubuntu doesn't set the root
> password by default, and invites you to use sudo -- but then I used sudo
> instead of su in Debian for ages already.

I've never used sudo.  I always use su.  Are there any advantages to using
sudo instead?

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com