[ltp] T42 and Debian Sarge

Robert Thau linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:38:40 -0400

Josh Battles writes:
 > > That is exactly what happened to me. Up to this day, I haven't found a
 > > single point in which I could criticize Ubuntu. It works just fine,
 > > discovered and configured all of the hardware, but the fingerprint reader.
 >
 > Wow, it discovered everything and it "just worked?"  That's amazing.  I may
 > have to look more into Ubuntu.

FWIW, I had a similar experience with SuSE 9.2 (one rev behind what's
current, IIRC), which figured out all the basics on my R51 except the
modem (for which I needed to buy a separate driver).  The wireless
(ipw2200), suspend-to-ram, and suspend-to-disk all seem to work,
though power drain in sleep-to-ram is higher than I'd like.  Then
again, I haven't pushed power management much harder than that.

I've run into a few glitches with SuSE (YaST and I don't always get
along), but nothing obviously related to hardware support.

rst