[ltp] Re: advice on Linux distribution for A20M (2628)

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:21:05 +1000

Alejandro Bonilla Beeche <abonilla@linuxwireless.org> writes:
> On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 07:29 +0800, James Oldham wrote:
>> I just got an A20M (2628).
>>
>> Any advice on what distributions work best on this hardware?
>>
>> Any gotchas?
>
> You probably want to run the distros with less load. Mandrake and RH,FC
> would kill that PC.

I think you have an inflated notion of the resource requirements of any
Linux distribution, or of how slow older machines are.

> Give Debian Woody (3.0) a try.It should do what you want.

I strongly advise against this.  Aside from security support for Woody
ending soon, Woody is now very "out of date" with regards software, and
is unlikely to make anyone particularly happy.

Running the default GNOME or KDE desktops /might/ be slower than the OP
wanted on that hardware, but I doubt it.  If that does prove to be the
case, selecting less resource hungry software on a modern distribution
is a better solution than deliberately using outdated and unsupported
distributions.

As for performance issues, I have several machines myself, and on site
with clients, with hardware comparable to the A20M, or lower, that are
perfectly acceptable running modern Linux distributions.

Regards,
        Daniel