[ltp] ATI Rage mobility dual-head support (was: x20 questions)

Rolf Leggewie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:09:50 +0200

Alex Deucher wrote:

> no, they are all variations on the same chip.  All of the mach64 based
> rage mobility support dualhead.

You said elsewhere that root access would not be sufficient.  Dual-head
support would be an important feature for me so obviously I want to help
out in any way I can.  Call me naive and I hope I am not wasting your
time but maybe we can still get something going.  Three things I was
considering.

1) Do you happen to know by chance someone in Europe involved in x.org
    dual head work?
2) root access coupled with a webcam so you can see what is going on.  I
    understand and fully appreciate this would be tedious for you.  I'd
    be willing to leave this running 24/7 so you can work in your pace.
3) I assume video graphics programming is very low-level, dig-down-deep
    kind of stuff.  But maybe there is some kind of way we can work on
    this together by you sharing some of your knowledge with me.  I am
    afraid this might be tedious for you as well ;-)

Problem is that I do not even have a grasp about what is involved in
getting this supported.  Are there specs to be had?  I guess it is not
just a) write support and b) kill out the bugs, is it?

BTW, http://www.botchco.com/alex/dualhead/ is your site, isn't it?  Just
a stupid question, you always talk about laptops on that site.  What is
the relation to the normal Mach64?  Are they very similar?

regards

Rolf