[ltp] general performance question on R51

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:26:25 +0200

>i notice very brief system hangs every now and then - usually when
>accessing a large directory through something like nautilus, or starting
>an application or even compiling some small code snippet. the hang is
>usually not for longer than about a second or two. the mouse if in
>motion will skip across the screen, gkrellm which i have running will
>freeze, if i'm playing some music with xmms or similar it will pause
>briefly then continue as if a cd is skipping or something. i understand
>that single drive reads across partitions can be pretty intesive though
>i did not expect this sort of performance.

Hi,
this behaviour is not normal, I can load my system without hanging it.
How do you manage cpu frequency scaling ?
Do you absolutly need 2.6.11 custom ? Please give a try to 2.6.12, seems
to be a more reliable release.

Paul RIVIER