[ltp] Re: x20 questions

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:46:42 -0400

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 12:58 +0200, Rolf Leggewie wrote:

[APM suspend/resume]

> Forgive my ignorance, but how does this work (or better: how do I set it
> up)?  I find the power management functions on Linux to be rather
> intransparent.  An URL or RTFM is fine.

Someone's already posted about suspend2, so I'll just mention APM
suspend/hibernate.  This works pretty well on our X20 using Fedora Core
3.  Other distributions are probably about the same, though.  The only
magic required is that if you want APM hibernation (suspend-to-disk) to
work, you must prepare the hard drive BEFORE installing Linux.  You'll
need to create a DOS partition that's the size of your memory plus your
graphics RAM, format it as FAT16 or FAT32, then add a hibernation file
with either IBM's hibernation utility (which you can get from their site
- the dos version is somewhere under "drivers and downloads" for the
X20).  Alternatively, you can do the same job with tphdisk under Linux).
Once that's done (and hibernation is enabled in BIOS), then just hit the
appropriate function key.

If you have problems, you might need to unload certain modules / stop
certain devices before suspending.

My X20 page has a little of the detail (I had to shut down PCMCIA before
suspend or hibernate would work):

http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/tpx20.html

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/