[ltp] An "inverse" fan problem

Jared Warren linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:43:10 -0700

> It looks definitely too hot for me. You should try some applications to
> help you here.
> laptop_mode will help the HD and CPU spin down.
> also cpufreqd should help you with the CPU speed if you have speedstep.

Sorry, I should have clarified: I'm running those applications
already; the problem is not how fast the machine heats up, the problem
is that the fan doesn't start to cool itself down. It appears that the
fan starts up around 67C and then stops when it gets back down to 54C,
which is uncomfortably hot.

What I'm wondering is whether there is anything I can do to turn the
fan on at a lower temperature. For example, why doesn't setting
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/trip_points or /proc/acpi/ibm/fan speed
work?

Thanks,
Jared