[ltp] snd-intel8x0 module and sound problems

Osho GG linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:33:02 -0700

Hi,

I am running SuSE linux 9.1 on IBM Thinkpad T42p which I have updated to
kernel to 2.6.11.11 (from the KOTD source rpm). I noticed that sound no
longer works. I googled a lot to find out a solution and eventually found
that if I unloading and reloading the module makes the sound work.

rmmod snd_intel8x0
modprobe snd_intel8x0

I also noticed that I have to keep the following two muted in the kmix (or in
alsamixer).

Headphone Jack Sense
Line Jack Sense

As long as *both* of the above settings are muted, sound works fine. If I
unmute any of these two; sound stops working. By sound stops working, I mean
that mplayer, amarok etc. play songs just fine as if sound is working fine;
however I do not hear any sound from the speaker.

Any idea what is the problem?

Thanks,
--
Osho