[ltp] T30 Suspend to Ram leaves LCD light on -- SUSE 9.3 solution

Bernard Sufrin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:25:12 +0100

SUSE 9.3; Thinkpad T30.

I was pretty happy with SUSE 9.3 on my T30, except that suspend to ram
via powersave -u (or using kpowersave) left the LCD light on.

The following simple edits seem to have fixed the problem for me.

37 $ diff /usr/lib/powersave/scripts/prepare_suspend_to_ram{,OLD}
15c15
< chvt 1; /usr/bin/radeontool light off
---

38 $ diff /usr/lib/powersave/scripts/restore_after_suspend_to_ram{,OLD}
13c13
< chvt 7
---

Explanation: in addition to what it used to do, the prepare script
switches to VT1 and turns off the LCD light. The restore script switches
back to vt7. [Without the chvt 1 the switch (somewhere deep in a script
that runs after the prepare_suspend runs) from the X screen (VT7) to the
console causes the LCD to be switched on again. Without the chvt 7 the
machine comes up in VT1 when it awakens]

You may need to play variations on this if you don't use the usual
SUSE virtual terminal setup. You will certainly need to enable suspend
to ram in the Power management Module of YAST.

Radeontool is at http://freshmeat.net/projects/radeontool/