[ltp] Why do you love your ThinkPad?

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:42:47 -0400

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:18:15 +0200
Matthias Posseldt <matthi@gmx.li> wrote:

> I have an A30p:
> - Thermal design: A very quiet fan which is off most of the time.

For some of my Thinkpads, this is true.  (X22, X20, 570E)  For others,
they're noisy as heck (770Z, 240/204X)

> - Keyboard: The best notebook keyboard because it has the keys where you
>  expect them (look at other notebook keyboards and wonder why they don't
>
> use the space to put the keys where they should be)

IBM overall makes the best notebook keyboards - at least on the brands
I've used.  Occasionally, though, they let a crackhead design the
keyboard:

* 240/240X series:  Okay to type on as long as that's the only computer
you use.  Some important keys are rearranged, though.
* 76x series (the ones with the flip-up keyboard).  Worst laptop keyboard
I've ever used - on any brand.  Keys have a terrible feel and tend to
stick.
* 701 series.  Looks cool, but hell to type on. Same problems as the 76x
series.

Having said that, they keyboards on every other Thinkpad I've used are
great.

> - Linux support: Anything besides TV out works

True only on some Thinkpads.  Modem drivers in particular cause trouble,
since IBM's sometimes put in 3COM paperweights.  Graphics drivers are also
a sore point, especially for folks who use suspend/resume a lot.  In this
respect, I couldn't honestly say IBM has a leg up on the other major
brands.

> - Stability: There are no problems with the hardware as it seems

... unless you want power management. :)

> - Trackpin: It's much more usable than a touchpad and it looks better

Definite plus there.  Although trackpoints aren't exclusive to IBM.  The
JVC MP-XV841 that replaced my Thinkpad X22 also has a trackpoint and three
actual mouse buttons.

That's another IBM plus, actuaqlly.  Most of their notebooks have the
three mouse buttons, and the ones that don't have the buttons close enough
so that you can use emulate3buttons easily.

> - The small IBM things: The case stability, the ThinkLight,

I've got two Thinkpads with Thinklights and I still haven't really found a
use for the lights yet, other than scaring the cat. :)

> the ThinkPad
> buttons which affect the hardware mixer and just work (unlike in
> different laptops where you have to use a windows-only crap software to
> control the volume of the soundcard with the buttons)

I prefer the older Thinkpads here that have a real volume dial.  No
futzing with software mixers at all, and easier to fine-tune the colume to
the right level.

I can never seem to adjust the volume to my liking on newer notebooks with
digital volume controls - IBM or otherwise.

BTW - the volume buttons on other notebooks MIGHT send ACPI events, which
can be programmed to adjust volume.  So it's probably not hopeless if you
DO have a non-IBM notebook.

> The things I'm missing:
> - USB2
> - better battery (only runs for about an hour)

Does laptop-mode help with battery life?  An hour sounds awfully short
unless you're running at full-speed all the time or the battery needs to
be replaced.

> - It could be lighter, as it weights about 3.x kg

Get an X series! :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/