[ltp] New user

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:27:58 +0200

Hello to all Linux-Thinkpad users. Recently while scouting for a
solution of the IrDA issue I stumbled upon this mailing list, which I
joined. Let's face it - I joined it to learn something useful.

In May 2004 I bought a used IBM Thinkpad T23 (2647-4MG) which is
currently running Win2k (OEM) and Mandrakelinux 10.2 (or 2005LE, w.
custom built 2.6.11.7 kernel). Dual boot provided by GRUB (Linux as
default). Most of the time my Linux is used as office desktop, Internet
client, multimedia player and for occasional gaming whereas Windows
works as a backup CAD platform (with external monitor whenever possible).

I have several generic Linux-Thinkpad as well as distribution-specific
questions, but I did not have time to review the archives, so in order
not bog the list with lengthy description here's a brief checklist:

Hardware operational status of not automatically installed devices:
*IrDA* - not installed (help welcome)
   standard IBM 4M FIR - NSC chip driver doesn't seem to work however
*Lucent WinModem 56k* - operational (source-compiled drivers ver. 8.31a10)
*Trackpoint*'s scroll button isn't working (is it at all possible?)

*IBM ACPI issues* (using v0.8 found in kernel - 1st I must try to
recompile the module using the most recent v0.11):
not working: Fn-F3, Fn-F12.
operational: Fn-F4 (with [Fn] wake-up), Fn-F7, LCD brightness,
ThinkLight, sound keys.

The Suspend-to-disk problem is probably distro-specific and/or distro's
ACPI package problem. (Mdk10.2/2005 users opinion welcome).

If anyone has solved/experienced any of this problems I'd be happy to
receive any useful pointers/exchange ideas.

sincerely,

Marcin Trybus