[ltp] Wheel mouse doesn't work

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:55:23 -0400

On Thursday 09 June 2005 16:20, after a long battle with technology,
James Knott wrote:
> Matt Graham wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 June 2005 14:01, after a long battle with
> > technology, James Knott wrote:
> >>I've been trying to get a wheel mouse to work in SuSE 9.3, on my
> >> R31 ThinkPad.
> > Is this a PS/2 mouse?  On Thinkpads, the PS/2 port in the back
> > shares data lines with the built-in Trackpoint.
[snip]
> There's no PS/2 connectors on the R31.  I'm using a USB mouse.
> Adding that "psmouse.proto=imps" parameter doesn't seem to make any
> difference. When I try the rmmod command, I get an error message,
> that the psmouse module doesn't exist.

Right.  (Details like this are important... the PS/2 problem is/was
common, so it's the first thing I thought of.)  So the problem is
different, possibly an X problem or a gpm problem or having the wrong
USB mouse module loaded.  So:  Post the InputDevice section in your
xorg.conf for the USB mouse.  Use lsmod and make sure the usbhid module
(hid module for 2.4 kernel) is loaded (not the other USB mouse module;
that one doesn't report everything.)  The Protocol for the USB mouse
should be imps/2 or possibly explorerps/2--all USB mice should be
capable of reporting events in imps/2.  The device file should probably
be /dev/input/mouse1 instead of /dev/input/mice , but both should work
in some fashion.  HTH,

--
   Murphy's revenge: The more reliable you make a system, the longer it
   will take you to figure out what's wrong when it breaks.