[ltp] Battery won't charge after emptying

Wookey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 05:34:29 +0100

I left my PSU at work and so used my machine till the battery went flat. It
didn't sleep/shut down when the battery neared empty, it just stopped.

Since plugging hte power back in the next day (48 hours ago) it has just sat
there at 1% charged.

The battery is only about 2 months old and thus was in pretty good condition.

/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0 says:

alarm:                   2376 mWh
present:                 yes
design capacity:         47520 mWh
last full capacity:      45340 mWh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          10800 mV
design capacity warning: 2376 mWh
design capacity low:     475 mWh
capacity granularity 1:  1 mWh
capacity granularity 2:  1 mWh
model number:            ThinkPad Battery
serial number:
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                IBM Corporation
present:                 yes
capacity state:          critical
charging state:          charging
present rate:            0 mW
remaining capacity:      453 mWh
present voltage:         10608 mV

So it seems to think that the capacity is now 453mWh rather than the
45340mWh it was before it was discharged. That can't be right.

What can I do to make it charge the battery? A mains-only laptop is no fun.

TIA

Wookey