[ltp] Why do you love your ThinkPad?

Matthias Himber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:23:38 +0200

--nextPart223728592.lBJFLogYby

Am Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005 02:13 schrieb Eric Van Buggenhaut=20
eric-at-sindominio.net |Linux-Thinkpad|:
> Apple plans to ship a new Mac with Intel processor yes, but they've
> already announced that this new cpu won't be compatible with other
> Intel platforms. They really suck, what you describe won't be
> possible, I'm afraid.
According to Slashdot and other news sources, pirate copies of OSX-x86, pul=
led=20
from the devboxes HDs, are already being traded on the 'net. The devboxes a=
re=20
plain-off-the-shelf P4 boxes, and at least the dev build of OSX-x86 has no=
=20
hardware locks at all. This might not be the case with future (release)=20
builds, but as long as the lock-in is software only (and there is every=20
indication that this will be the case, if at all), cracks will exist. The #=
1=20
problem will likely be drivers, but since the base system is Free Software=
=20
(or is it "only" OSS?) there is hope - ports from Linux, maybe.

The two interesting Questions here are, IMHO:
 (1) Will this give Microsoft a run for their Money?
 (2) Is Desktop Linux dead?

Regards,
 Matthias

PS: torrent plz!!!1!1one kthx! ;P

=2D-=20
Passwords are like underwear: Change yours often