[ltp] Re: New ati-drivers out there

Nils linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:36:15 +0200

Am Montag, 13. Juni 2005 18:29 schrieb Kai-Thorsten Hambrecht:
> Florian Dorpmueller wrote:
> >> You can always switch to APM - fglrx reportedly suspends and resumes
> >> nicely with APM.
> >
> > No events on my R51 when I press Fn+F4/F12 to suspend on my R51 with
> > APM. Therefore I need ACPI.
>
> ACPI does work with fglrx. You need "radeontool" to switch off/on the
> backlight and "vbetool" to save/restore the video state. See attached
> acpi action script. This script works on both, X.org radeon and fglrx.
> Depending on your kernel version you may pass "acpi_sleep=s3_bios" to
> the kernel (i need this on 2.6.11-1.27_FC3).
>
> Regards,
>   Kai.

okay, but with all tools (radeontool / vbetool), you'll have problems: X
crashes sometimes after resume, always higher temperature => higher power
consumption!!! You are right, but I use XFree4.3, it's working worser than
Xorg. (debian etch)
Why does ati have the nerve to sell a graphic card without (or really
perfectly bad) drivers.

Nils