[ltp] Re: New ati-drivers out there

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:51:26 -0400 (EDT)

>> ACPI does work with fglrx. You need "radeontool" to switch off/on
>> the backlight and "vbetool" to save/restore the video state. See
>> attached acpi action script.

> okay, but with all tools (radeontool / vbetool), you'll have
> problems: X crashes sometimes after resume, always higher
> temperature => higher power consumption!!!

 	Let me ask something which might seem obvious to some...

 	Why can't this JUST WORK RIGHT, instead of having to have
little stop/start scripts, shims, and other hardware/kernel-based
tweaks to get a functioning video card with proper ACPI support?

 	Really, this is EXACTLY why people are giving up on Linux in
crowds.

 	I'm also speaking as an Open Source developer myself, and
while I understand the blockheaded vendor issues, it really doesn't
help the case if we continue to purchase their hardware and support
their bottom line. I've been fighting it with Palm and related mobile
partners since 1997 or so. If people didn't buy hardware that vendors
refused to support the OS on, then they might get a clue and change
their tactics. If it doesn't hurt them in the pocketbook, they have no
reason to change.

 	Its getting worse and worse every day. These workarounds were
great in the early 90's, when it was "cool" to hack on hardware and
get things working, but come on... this is 13+ years later, and we
still can't get functioning video + suspend working in Linux?

 	Pfft.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com