[ltp] Thinkpad 600E: How to disable LCD off switch

Terry Barnaby linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:29:26 +0100

Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:42:28 +0100
> Terry Barnaby <terry1@beam.ltd.uk> wrote:
>

>>Or perhaps re-enabling the external VGA when the LCD off switch
>>operates ?
>

> Are you trying to control it with the keyboard or IR/mouse?  If you're not
> using the keyboard, what about just booting it closed and with the monitor
> connected?

I didn't actualy think of seeing what it would do when booted with the
LCD closed :)
Well it does boot with just the external monitor working but when
X-Windows starts both the monitor an LCD screen come on .....

However, I have just tried using ACPI rather than APM by setting
the kernel parameters "acpi=force pci=noacpi" on my Fedora 3
system with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC3. With this the system boots,
PCMCI EThernet works and the screen seems to work Ok. That is if
I boot with the lid closed the LCD panel remains off. Also if
I boot with LCD panel open and use the keyboards Fn-F7 key to
set only the external monitor, then the monitor remains on when
the panel is closed.

So I think I have a solution, as long as enabling the ACPI on a 600E
does not cause other problems ...
Does anyone have any info on using ACPI with the Thinkpad 600E ?

I will be controlling the 600E via the external monitors touch screen
interface by the way.

Thanks all for the info.

Cheers

Terry